Monday, July 9, 2012

How We Shopped for Our Apartment

If you have been following our blog, you'll know that my boyfriend and I are moving in together in September.  You can read my announcement about it here.  Because we're getting a place together we were able to spend a bit more money on things, than I would be able to if I were living alone.  Today I wanted to do a quick post on how we shopped for our place, because this is a big part of my life right now. Hopefully some of you will find this helpful if you are planning on getting your own place in the near future.

Step One : Establish a budget.  This is the most important part about shopping.  We sat down together and figured out what each of us could put into the budget, and how much we were willing to spend on buying new things. We also have a folder which holds all of our receipts, our list of things to get and our budget to date page.

Step Two : Figuring out what you need to get.  I made a HUGE list, room by room, of everything we could need.  We then went through the list and started checking things off that we already had (I had an apartment last year while I was at school so I had a lot of cooking things already) and things our family was going to give us.

Step Three : Figuring out what style we wanted to get.  We decided to go for simple and classic things. Things that we know we can use for years, and the basics.  We wanted to get the basic items first and then collect more things as we have more money.

Step Four : Buying!  This for me is my favourite part!  If you're moving in with someone, wether it be a friend or your partner, it's important to do this together.  You want to buy things that both of you will like, because both you have to live with it!

I hope that you guys find this interesting.  I know I really enjoy writing about this because it's such a huge part of my life right now.  Let me know if you'd like more post like this!
-xx Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment