Sunday, May 20, 2012

Safe Sun

I was supposed to be doing a product review today on Maybeline's Illegal Length Mascara, but my photographs didn't turn out to well and honestly I didn't feel like doing a product review today.  So instead I'm going to talk about practicing safe sun!  The weather is getting warmer finally (it was 29 degrees yesterday!) and we're all spending a lot more time out in the sun.  This means we all need to be careful about the sun's harmful rays!
Yesterday while Kelsey was out wandering around, I spent my day working at a Horse Show for my photography internship.  It was a very long day in the sun, I left home at 6 am started working at 7 am and didn't finish till about 7pm.  I realized yesterday just how quickly the sun can get to you, it seemed like everyone around me was quickly fading away while I stayed fairly strong throughout the day.  I've always been very careful when I'm out in the sun since I burn easily and there is a lot of skin cancer in my family, so I thought I'd share some of my tips and tricks!

Safe Sun Tips and Tricks 
SPF in Your Daily Moisturizer :  I have SPF 30 in my Aveeno Fresh Essentials moisturizer, I love it because I don't always remember to put sunscreen on my face. 
SPF in Your Foundation : I also have SPF 15 in my MAC studio sculpt foundation.
Apply Sunscreen Regularly : You should always be applying sunscreen throughout the day.  A good rule of thumb is to apply every hour and a half, or hour if you're active.
Drink Lots of Water and Gatorade  : The sun can quickly dehydrate you and before you know it you're feeling sick.  Be sure to drink more water than you normally would, and if you're active drinking Gatorade helps because it replenishes you're electrolytes - keeping you feeling your best.
Wear a Hat : Yes, I know hats aren't always the greatest, and I personally don't like wearing them.  But wearing a hat can make a huge difference in the sun.
Take Breaks : If you know that you're going to be in the sun for long periods of time, be sure to take breaks and sit in the shade for a few minutes to help lower your body temperature so you don't over heat.
Don't Use Tanning Beds : I know everyone wants to look golden brown for the summer, but the risk of skin cancer really isn't worth it!  Instead I use Jergan's Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer which retails for about $10 a bottle! I still look golden brown without the harmful UV rays!

I hope this has given you some good ideas on how to practice safe sun for the up coming summer months!  And remember trying to look golden brown really isn't worth the risk of cancer!
-xx Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment