Sunday, April 22, 2012
Happy Earth Day
Happy Earth Day! To celebrate we've decided to make a quick tips blog on some simple things that you can do to be more environmentally friendly as well as save yourself some money.
1. When doing the laundry wash your clothes in cold water. Most of the energy used to wash your clothes goes towards heating the water and this process can cost you 5 to 10 times more than just simply washing in cold water.
2. By reducing the amount of meat you eat you can reduce the amount of factory emissions and slaughter. I am not saying go vegetarian but try to eat less red meat or even have a meat-less monday. This can also improve your health, which is a nice bonus.
3. Turn off any lights when you leave a room. I know it seems simple but it is a task that we often forget to do. This can save you loads on your electricity bill and will help the environment.
4. By switching from bottled water to filtered water you can save a lot by not spending that extra money and in turn use the water that comes to our homes for free. Although it seems as though the bottles would be able to get recycled, most of the time they aren't and are left as waste in the landfill.
5. We decided for the last point we would list a few companies that offer environmentally friendly products and leave a link to their website so you may check them out:
• Tarte: the company creates components that are made from recyclable or post-consumer recycled material and can often be re-used to help reduce environmental waste. Visit their site here.
• Pandora's Make-up Box: a Canadian company that prides itself on it's 'eco-chiq' brand. Each of it's products are eco-friendly and easy on the wallet. Visit their site here.
•Burt's Bees: this UK company prides themselves on their natural standard, making their products 100% natural. They also believe that their packaging should hold the highest in environmental standards. This company is doing all it can to be eco-friendly while making a great product. Visit their site here.
What are all of you doing for Earth day? Leave us a comment!
Kelsey & Sally